The 6 Steps For Proper Spot & Stain Removal
Immediate spot removal is key for a clean stain free carpet. Great care also must be taken in how spot cleaning is performed. When a carpet is new, or has sufficient protector on it, plain tap water will remove many spots. However for those spots that will not move easily with water, you must use a spot cleaner.
Select a spot cleaner that is recommended by the carpet manufacturer or your trained, certified professional cleaner. Most spot removers that are purchased over the counter leave too much soap residue behind and will cause re-soiling. Some may even contain optical brighteners, which will leave the spot a few shades lighter than the rest of the carpet and void your carpet warranty.
If you don’t have any spot cleaner you can mix ¼ teaspoon liquid dish soap with one cup cold water then transfer it to a spray bottle and apply it to the spot.
HERE ARE THE STEPS…
1. Wet Spots-immediately blot up as much of the liquid as possible with an absorbent towel. For larger spills use a bath towel and stand on it or a shop vac can also be used. If you have a shop vac you’ll want to switch it over to the wet setting before you begin to suck up the spill. Once you have gotten the majority of the spill up get a large glass of cold water to try to rinse and suck the stain out of the rug. You only want to pour on an amount that you can vac up instantly, usually about the size of the end of your vac hose. The spot will disappear one dilution at a time. Repeat this process until you do not see any change in color. Once you have determined the color is not changing you may want to resort to a spot remover. Use only ones recommended by an IICRC contractor as others may permanently damage your carpet. (See also our section Don’t Void the Warranty) We can supply safe and effective spot removers. I have removed many spots with the method described above when I started within an hour or two of the spill. This method is not recommend for older spots.
2. Dry Spots– Scrape away the solid or semi-solid stain using a blunt spatula or spoon. Plastic is best. Never scrub or brush a spot! Scrubbing can harm the fibers, remove the stain resistant coating and work the stain into the carpet so that it sets into the carpet or rug.
3. Pre-test your spot cleaner on an inconspicuous area of the carpet to check for any adverse effects such as optical brighteners. (see warranty section above) If present, the carpet will look a few shades lighter than the original color of the carpet. Compare the tested area to the carpet on the outside of the room.
4. Apply a small amount of stain remover to the stain. Use a soft, white, absorbent cloth and gently blot and dab working from the outside edges towards the center of the spot to prevent it from spreading. Check for color transfer on the towel after every few dabs, and then switch the towel to a clean spot. Continue the process as long as the stain is being transferred to the towel. You may need to apply more spot cleaner and repeat these steps.
5. After the spill has been removed, completely, rinse out the affected area with water and blot dry. To effectively blot up any excess water, you may use clean, dry towels weighed down by flat, heavy objects like a book; keep changing the towel as they become saturated.
Although most of the carpets produced today are treated with stain-resistant products, no carpet can be said to be completely stain-proof. The longer the stain remains in the carpet, the more permanently it sets into it.
6. Easiest method: Skip steps 2-5 and Call Steam Green!
This spot remover is the most popular product we offer our customers
- Natural, non-toxic and biodegradable cleaner
- Utilizes live enzyme cultures and lime peel extract
- Great for those who are sensitive to chemicals
This is one of our favorite products. Hydrogen peroxide powered, ready to use carpet spotter. Works instantly on common spots and stains such as coffee, juice spills and pet vomit.. Great for those in between Steam Green cleanings. Will not fade carpet or leave behind sticky dirt attracted residue like some over the counter cleaners.
Need a spot remover that is safe to use around children and pets? Biokleen Bac-Out® is environmentally friendly with no artificial fragrances, colors or preservatives and no harmful chemicals like chlorine, ammonia or solvents. Bac-Out’s live enzyme-producing cultures attack pet, food and beverage stains, organic waste and odors until they are gone, digesting them back to nature safely and naturally.